Share This Page
Our Decades of Success
In 1968, J.D. "Dave" Power III established J.D. Power from his kitchen table, with a primary focus in the automotive industry. Since then, we have successfully influenced the everyday lives of consumers and industries worldwide by delivering insights to drive improvement in our clients' products and services. We have expanded operations to include offices throughout North America, Europe and Asia Pacific. Here is a timeline of our key milestones through our decades of success:
- April 1, 1968: Dave Power and his wife Julie start the firm from the kitchen table in their Calabasas, Calif., home.
- Feb. 7, 1969: J.D. Power and Associates incorporates.
- 1969: J.D. Power enters the auto market with its first client Toyota Motor Company.
- 1969: Additional J.D. Power clients include: McCulloch Corporation, Ampex Consumer Products Group, U.S. Borax, Carnation, Toyota and MSI Data Systems.
- 1973: The Wall Street Journal reports Mazda's Wankel engine problems, based on data from one of the first J.D. Power independently funded surveys. The firm gains national prominence for its voice of the customer data.
- 1976: The Dealer Attitude Study (DAS) launches. The DAS gave the firm credibility on retail and distributor issues and established a strong rapport with auto dealers. The DAS preceded the National Automobile Dealers Association's own Dealer Attitude Study.
- 1980's: Publications debut--Automotive Consumer Profile Newsletter, Power Newsletter and The Power Report.
- 1981: U.S. Automotive Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Study launches. The new study is the cornerstone of the firm's plan to expand to include independently funded syndicated studies within the auto industry.
- January 22, 1984: Subaru became the first automaker to advertise its J.D. Power rankings by running a commercial during Super Bowl XVIII. Since then, more than 200,000 television commercials and more than 2 billion print ad impressions refer to J.D. Power awards annually.
- 1987: International Automotive Roundtable and SuperDealer Roundtables meet for the first time.
- 1987: U.S. Automotive Initial Quality Study (IQS) and U.S. Automotive Media Study debut.
- 1988: Joint venture in Japan is established and later becomes a wholly owned subsidiary responsible for business in Asia Pacific
- 1989: The first automotive syndicated study trophy award was issued by J.D. Power. Acura ranked highest in the 1989 U.S. Automotive Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Study.
- 1989: The first regional office opens in Troy, Michigan led by Steve Goodall.
- 1990: Power Information Network (PIN) launches. PIN is a unique, nationwide data collection system based on the gathering and analysis of daily new-vehicle retail transaction data from automotive dealerships across the United States.
- 1992: Travel practice area is established.
- 1992: J.D. Power III receives a Distinguished Service Citation from the Automotive Hall of Fame.
- 1994: J.D. Power's rapid international expansion, led by J.D. Power IV, begins in Toronto, Canada.
- 1995: The firm's first European location opens in the UK.
- 1995: Telecom practice area is established.
- 1996: Stephen C. Goodall named President.
- 1997: Homebuilder practice area is established.
- 1999: JDPower.com is launched: Power Circle Ratings bring syndicated study highlights directly to consumers without charge.
- 1999: An office in Singapore was opened to broaden J.D. Power Asia Pacific's activities in Asia.
- 2000: J.D. Power announces its joint venture in Australia.
- 2000: First syndicated study launches in China.
- 2001: Healthcare practice area is established.
- 2002: Company headquarters move from Agoura Hills, Calif., to Westlake Village, Calif.
- 2004: Expansion continues in Europe with an office opening in Munich, Germany.
- 2005: J.D. Power opens office in Shanghai, China.
- 2005: J.D. Power is acquired by The McGraw-Hill Companies on April 1.
- 2006: J.D. Power acquires Automotive Resources Asia, which specializes in Asia's vehicle markets to continue to expand presences in Asia.
- 2006: Retail Banking practice area is established.
- 2006: The first J.D. Power book, "SATISFACTION: How Every Great Company Listens To the Voice of the Customer," written by J.D. Power IV and Chris Denove, is published.
- 2009: Finbarr O'Neill named President.
- 2010: Brazil office opens.
- 2011: Mexico office opens.
- 2014: J.D. Power III inducted into Automotive Hall of Fame.
- 2015: Company headquarters relocate to Costa Mesa, California.
- 2015: J.D. Power acquires NADA Used Car Guide.
- 2016: U.S. Initial Quality Study conducted for 30th consecutive year.
- 2016: XIO Group, a global alternative investments firm headquartered in London, completes the acquisition of J.D. Power.
- 2017: J.D. Power acquires NADAguides.com.
- 2018: Dave Habiger is named the new President and CEO of J.D. Power; Company celebrates its 50th Anniversary.